If in your priorities is to admire the entire natural and historical beauty of Meteora, this Hiking in Meteora tour is the ideal activity. An easy but spectacular route, ideal for the whole family. The path that we are going hiking to, passes beneath the ruined monastery of God Almighty on the northern side of Dupiani’s rock. The route takes us to the heart of the green forest and leading you to the abandoned and restored Monastery of Visitation of Jesus and to the statue of Papathymios Vlahavas who was a fighter during the rebelion against Turkish. From there, our path leads you to the top of the rocks until you will reach the impressive monasteries of “Great Meteoron” and “Varlaam”. Then we are descending through a path to Kastraki, where we pass near the cave of St George Mandilas where every year people are climbing on to hang their hangerchiefs as tradition commands. Difficulty level is not particurlarly high and you should bring with you:
- Comfort shoes and clothes.
- Rain coat (not necessary).
- A second change in case that you will be sweat.
- Βackpack with bottled water.
- A hat or a skullcap.
- Pick up and drop off service.
- Hike among paths and places that can not be seen by road.
- Photo stop at imposing points of Meteora.
- A specialized mountain guide will be your escort and he will indicates you secret locations and paths.
- Engish speaking tour leader. Tour leaders can be provided to other languages too at an extra fee.
- Free bottle of water are being provided during the tour.
- Free wi-fi on board.
- Pay a visit to the interior of one monastery.
- All taxes and services fees.
- Monastery entrance fees which are 3€
- Certified guide to escort you in the monastery
- Gratuities (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
Pick up and drop off service:
Τhis service is been provided by our office wherever in Kalampaka but in case your accomodation has been arranged somewhere else such as Trikala or Kastraki then you need to come to our office in Kalampaka (Ioanninon 8) at the scheduled time so you can participate the tour you have chosen.
Which monasteries interior we are visiting:
During this tour you will admire the interior of Ypapanti, a hidden monastery that it can only be seen by hikers. You will also be able to see all six monasteries from below and depending on which day you have chosen to do the tour you will visit either Great Meteoron or Varlaam. You can check working days and hours here. Also monastery of Ypapanti remains closed during winter time. In the case that monastery of Ypapanti will be closed for other reasons you will admire it from below.
In case it rains:
In case it rains this tour it will not be possible to run. Our office is giving you the option either to pick another tour which will not be affected by weather or you can have hiking tour next day if the conditions allows it or you can be refunded the total amount of money.
Τhe starting hour of each tours is been written either on the vouchers you will receive by us to your email or you can check it in our website. It might be a delay of 5-10 minutes to the pick-up hour but this depends on the number of the pickups. Please be ready 10 minutes before the scheduled time.
We are recommending to make the reservation for the tour you are interested in at least one week in advance in order to have more chances of finding available seats. Although you can have a last minute booking just keep in your mind that maybe we will not have any more seats available.
- Free cancellation within at least 10 days of departure.
- Cancellations received within 5 days of departure will incur a penalty of 50% per person.
- Cancellations received within 24 hours of departure will incur a penalty of 100% per person.
- Unused vouchers are non-refundable. No shows forfeit entire payment.