Near to the giant rock of Aia and NW of Kastraki, lies the monastery of St Nikolaos Badovas, which was founded in 14th century a.d and was known as Kofinas at the early years. In the “Cronicles of Meteora”, which was written in 1529 a.d, there is a special mention about monastery of St Nikolaos Kofinas and its vineyard. In the early 17th century the monastery was mentioned as a cell that belonged to Great Meteoro, while around the middle of the 19th century a.d monastery has started to be mentioned as monastery of St Nikolaos Badovas. The origin of the name is unknown and is being believed widely that it came from an abbot who was living in monastery and the same has also been given to the rocks that guests the monastery.
Ascending to the interlocking system of caves on the 5th floor of the monastery is located the church of St Nikolaos the miraculous. There is a sign that informs us about a significant restore that took place in 1876 a.d and about nun Eugenia who had contributed a lot to the monastery through a major acquire activity and had also been known as the first nun in Meteora. Since 1994 a.d under the siege of monsignor ex Archibishop of Stagon and Meteoron Serafim monastery has been indentified as glebe of Holy Monastery of St Trinity and since then a new chapter of ernstwhile famous monastery of Kofinas history has began. Modern-day restoration of the monastery was started in 1997-99 a.d and a total restoration and modulation of the cave was done and that has as a result the modern shape of the monastery which is a vertical six-floor hermitage. Dimitris Tsanatelis a local constructor and artist was him who has undertaken to create the austere temple. In monastery we can also see relics of great religious and cultural value such as silver candles, sacred vessels and some gifts that piligrims from Cyprus has brought to the monastery. In the sancturary of the temple which is been carved to the rock you can see frescoes of 18th and 19th century a.d which was fully renovated in 1881 and 1882 a.d.
Hermitage is a six-floor structure as we said above. At the entrance floor is the entrance, while at second floor is the shrine of candles, at third are two cells, a balcony and the lift and at the fourth floor a balcony and auxilary rooms. At fifth floor is another one, bigger than the others, balcony and the church, a small parlor decorated with tapestries from Metsovo (known for) and also one more small cell. At sixth and last floor is a cell (attic), a balcony and a cictern.